Cannot start server: Unable to start local server

User 761 | 2/11/2015, 11:20:55 AM

Hey I installed graph lab-create 1.2 in a virtualenv and everything was working fine until suddenly I started getting the following error : <code class="CodeInline">[ERROR] Cannot start server: Unable to start local server. Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.py", line 341, in init self.proxy = UnitySFrameProxy(glconnect.getclient()) File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/graphlab/connect/main.py", line 214, in getclient assert isconnected(), "Cannot connect to GraphLab Server" AssertionError: Cannot connect to GraphLab Server </code>

I created a new virtualenv and installed graphlab there but the I get the same error. I tried installing it systemwide as well but to no avail.

Comments

User 91 | 2/13/2015, 4:30:03 AM

Could you give us some details about your system. OS, python version etc. Are you using Anaconda?

User 761 | 2/13/2015, 5:27:32 AM

OSX 10.10 Yosemite Python 2.7.6 8 GB RAM Not using Anaconda.

Its weird. Everything was working perfectly until it wasn't.

User 92 | 2/15/2015, 6:19:13 PM

Hi mihirkale815,

Sorry you are encountering the problem. I suspect there has been some change in the environment config. Can you try to start unity_server manually and send us the output?

You will need to change the path and product key in the following command to suite your environment:

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/unityserver default --productkey=REPLACEYOURPRODUCT_KEY

Thanks!

User 761 | 2/18/2015, 3:45:54 PM

Hello I started unity_server manually. The error log helped me debug the issue. Thanks!