graphlab and seaborn imports - order matters

User 936 | 12/14/2014, 7:10:08 PM

I am working on an iPython notebook combining GraphLab Create with other Python data analysis libraries.

When importing seaborn after GraphLab, my kernel would crash and force a restart. In testing to see if it was the libraries that didn't play well together, I found that you could use them both as long as you imported GraphLab AFTER seaborn.

This crashes:

import graphlab as gl import seaborn; seaborn.set()

(From Terminal) Unable to reach server for 3 consecutive pings. Server is considered dead. Please exit and restart.

This does not crash:

import seaborn; seaborn.set() import graphlab as gl

Using: - Python 2.7 -GraphLab Create 1.1 - seaborn 0.3.1

Comments

User 1037 | 12/15/2014, 6:59:59 PM

Hi @amcasari,

This is a very interesting problem. We definitely see some quirkiness when import seaborn happens after import graphlab. However, we cannot reproduce the crash that you experienced. It would be very helpful if you could send us the log file. You can find the log file at the end of the message:

[INFO] Start server at: ipc:///tmp/graphlab_server-19098 - Server binary: /home/haijieg/glenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/unity_server - Server log: /tmp/graphlab_server_1418669648.log

Also, are you using mac or linux (and which linux)?

Thanks, Jay

User 936 | 12/15/2014, 9:25:27 PM

Mac. 10.9.5 GraphLab Create 1.1 Python 2.7.9

I've attached the log file.

@brian, I made sure that seaborn (and related packages!) were up to date. Still having the same problem.

Please let me know if more information would help. Thanks!

User 936 | 12/17/2014, 10:10:44 PM

Thanks @brian‌.