unity_server process cannot be started

User 997 | 11/27/2014, 8:23:26 AM

Hi, I get the following error message for the example on the installation page (import graphlab works fine!):

(graphlab)ubuntu@ip-172-31-49-106:~$ python getstarted.py [ERROR] Fatal error. The unityserver process cannot be started. There may have been an issue during installation of graphlab-create. Please uninstall graphlab-create and reinstall it, looking for errors that may occur during installation. If the problem persists, please contact support@graphlab.com. Traceback (most recent call last): File "getstarted.py", line 3, in <module> data = gl.SFrame.readcsv(url, columntypehints={"rating":int}) File "/home/ubuntu/graphlab/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.py", line 994, in readcsv storeerrors=False)[0] File "/home/ubuntu/graphlab/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.py", line 542, in readcsvimpl proxy = UnitySFrameProxy(glconnect.getclient()) File "/home/ubuntu/graphlab/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/connect/main.py", line 214, in getclient assert isconnected(), "Cannot connect to GraphLab Server"

Reinstallation did not help. Does anyone else have an idea? I've got a single core, 64-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 server AWS-machine.

Kind regards Damian

Comments

User 6 | 11/27/2014, 10:35:41 AM

Is this a micro instance? We have observed an error with micro instance which runs of memory. We recommend using a strong instance type.

User 997 | 11/28/2014, 2:36:19 PM

Yes, it was. The error still occurs with a t2.small (2GB RAM) instance. I'll keep on trying

User 997 | 11/28/2014, 2:49:11 PM

And it occurs with the t2.medium (4GB RAM, 2 processors). Which configuration have you been testing?

User 18 | 11/29/2014, 2:10:02 AM

It should work with m3.large. We've had some problems with single core machines in the past. Let us know if you still can't get it to work on m3.large. BTW, are you installing in a virtualenv?

User 10 | 12/1/2014, 11:00:22 PM

We support all instance types, except for micros, smalls, or mediums.

Unfortunately we document this poorly, and it is buried in our documentation.

From http://graphlab.com/products/create/docs/generated/graphlab.aws.launch_EC2.html:

instance_type : string, optional

The EC2 instance type to launch. We support all instance types that are not micros, smalls or mediums.

User 997 | 12/3/2014, 8:28:30 AM

Hey, upgrading the instance type does not help. I tried c3.large and m3.large today and still got the error. I used virtualenv and for reinstallation simple pip - both did not get me started. Any further ideas? Kind regards Damian

User 1115 | 12/24/2014, 10:39:03 AM

I have the same problem, on local ubuntu machine 4 cores. reinstall doesn't help. [ERROR] Fatal error. The unityserver process cannot be started. There may have been an issue during installation of graphlab-create. Please uninstall graphlab-create and reinstall it, looking for errors that may occur during installation. If the problem persists, please contact support@graphlab.com. Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.py", line 994, in readcsv storeerrors=False)[0] File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.py", line 542, in readcsvimpl proxy = UnitySFrameProxy(glconnect.getclient()) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/connect/main.py", line 214, in getclient assert is_connected(), "Cannot connect to GraphLab Server" AssertionError: Cannot connect to GraphLab Server

User 318 | 12/26/2014, 9:37:28 AM

I encountered the same problem too, after finishing pip installation and following the quick-start-guide example. My environment is a fresh CentOS 6.6 virtual machine supported by vmware which is hosted on a windows pc. I installed python 2.7.9 following the instruction here: http://toomuchdata.com/2014/02/16/how-to-install-python-on-centos/ Actually I tried to install Anaconda-2.1.0-Linux-x86_64 first but ended up with the same error. The interesting thing is that the problem is gone when I change my environment to Centos 7 virtual machine with Anaconda 2.1.0 and yum-installed python.

User 343 | 12/29/2014, 11:22:02 PM

I had similar issues within a CI environment, turns out the unity server couldn't find the shared libraries. To see this, try starting the unity server on its own, e.g.

$/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/unityserver default --productkey=REPLACEYOURPRODUCT_KEY

Fixed by setting LDLIBRARYPATH appropriately, e.g.

$export LDLIBRARYPATH=/usr/local/lib.

User 318 | 12/30/2014, 1:57:50 AM

Thank you, Berton! After I export Anaconda's lib path, the problem is all gone!