Getting error unable to start local server. GraphLab server shutdown

User 403 | 6/26/2014, 7:02:22 AM

I followed this: http://graphlab.com/products/create/quick-start-guide.html And installed graphlab-create==0.3. My machine is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (64bit), 8GB of RAM and intel core i5 processor

Why might be the problem?

Commands: desktop:~$ python Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56) [GCC 4.8.2] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

import graphlab sf = graphlab.SFrame(data='http://graphlab.com/files/datasets/freebaseperformances.csv') [ERROR] Cannot start server: Unable to start local server. [INFO] GraphLab server shutdown Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.py", line 376, in init self.proxy = UnitySFrameProxy(glconnect.getclient()) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/connect/main.py", line 203, in getclient assert is_connected(), "Cannot connect to GraphLab Server" AssertionError: Cannot connect to GraphLab Server

Comments

User 14 | 6/26/2014, 4:51:43 PM

The server binary failed starting. If you are in a vritualenv, can you please try directly starting the server using the following command, and tell us the output?

$/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/unityserver default --productkey=REPLACEYOURPRODUCT_KEY

Thanks

User 421 | 7/8/2014, 7:06:25 PM

Where should set up my product key (which file)?

User 18 | 7/8/2014, 7:28:48 PM

The easiest way is to set it in an environment variable GRAPHLABPRODUCTKEY.

User 403 | 7/22/2014, 5:08:56 AM

Thanks for the responses and kindly excuse for delayed response. I had created a docker container for ubuntu 13 and it worked over there. On my ubuntu desktop 14 it is still not working. I upgraded the graphlab-create to latest version 0.9 and now it is giving me product key error:

import graphlab sf = graphlab.SFrame(data='http://graphlab.com/files/datasets/freebaseperformances.csv') terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtimeerror' what(): locale::facet::Screateclocale name not valid Aborted (core dumped) [ERROR] Product Key validation failed, please confirm your product key is correct. If you believe this key to be valid, please contact support@graphlab.com Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.py", line 567, in init self.proxy = UnitySFrameProxy(glconnect.getclient()) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/graphlab/connect/main.py", line 203, in getclient assert isconnected(), "Cannot connect to GraphLab Server" AssertionError: Cannot connect to GraphLab Server

I have product key at location ~/.graphlab/config cat ~/.graphlab/config [Product] product_key=my prod key

The same key is copied to ubuntu 13 docker container instance and there it works. Is there some problem with Ubuntu 14?

User 15 | 7/29/2014, 5:26:46 PM

Sorry, we must have missed your new response. Unfortunately, the "Product Key validation failed" is often a red herring for some other error. It probably isn't a general Ubuntu 14 problem, as some of us use it for development.

I haven't seen GraphLab Create spit this error out before, but this exception apparently shows up when the system either does not have 'locales' installed at all, or it is misconfigured. Try running 'dpkg -s locales' and 'locale' on both the Ubuntu 14 system and the docker container. Post the outputs of those commands.

Thanks!

Evan

User 403 | 7/30/2014, 4:56:00 AM

Hi,

Thanks. To clarify, I said things are working on docker container. They are not working on ubuntu 14 desktop. Here is the output of the commands

akadam@akadam-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -s locales Package: locales Status: install ok installed Priority: important Section: libs Installed-Size: 9136 Maintainer: Martin Pitt martin.pitt@ubuntu.com Architecture: all Source: langpack-locales Version: 2.13+git20120306-12.1 Replaces: base-config, belocs-locale-data, belocs-locales-bin, libc6 (<< 2.3.6-0ubuntu6), libc6.1 (<< 2.3.6-0ubuntu6) Depends: libc6 (>= 2.9-0ubuntu10) | libc6.1 (>= 2.9-0ubuntu10) Conflicts: base-config, belocs-locale-data Conffiles: /etc/locale.alias 6ac3cbee43012440edc6bcbade0a61ce Description: common files for locale support This package provides support for localized environments (locales). It installs character and transliteration maps, provides the POSIX locale definition and provides common scripts for language pack handling. . The actual locale definitions are not part of this package, these are shipped in the language packs and are installed and removed automatically. akadam@akadam-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -s locale dpkg-query: package 'locale' is not installed and no information is available Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files, and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

User 15 | 7/31/2014, 4:39:27 AM

Yes, I got that. Working on docker container with Ubuntu 13, not working on your desktop running Ubuntu 14. I wanted to see the output from both to compare and see what was different between the two environments.

And also, I should have been more clear. After running 'sudo dpkg -s locales' I need you to run JUST the command 'locale', which spits out the variables set for this package.

From what you posted it looks like 'locales' is indeed installed. I tried uninstalling the locales package in a Ubuntu 14 VM and I got the same error you reported from GraphLab Create. You have it installed though, so it must be configured strangely. The output of 'locale' can help us diagnose what is wrong.

Thanks!

Evan

User 403 | 8/4/2014, 11:08:56 AM

Output of locale command on Ubuntu 14 desktop:

locale: Cannot set LCALL to default locale: No such file or directory LANG=enUS.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=enUS:en LCCTYPE="enUS.UTF-8" LCNUMERIC=enIN.UTF-8 LCTIME=enIN.UTF-8 LCCOLLATE="enUS.UTF-8" LCMONETARY=enIN.UTF-8 LCMESSAGES="enUS.UTF-8" LCPAPER=enIN.UTF-8 LCNAME=enIN.UTF-8 LCADDRESS=enIN.UTF-8 LCTELEPHONE=enIN.UTF-8 LCMEASUREMENT=enIN.UTF-8 LCIDENTIFICATION=enIN.UTF-8 LCALL=

Output of locale command on ubuntu 13 Docker container:

root@17be55604b39:/# locale LANG= LANGUAGE= LCCTYPE="POSIX" LCNUMERIC="POSIX" LCTIME="POSIX" LCCOLLATE="POSIX" LCMONETARY="POSIX" LCMESSAGES="POSIX" LCPAPER="POSIX" LCNAME="POSIX" LCADDRESS="POSIX" LCTELEPHONE="POSIX" LCMEASUREMENT="POSIX" LCIDENTIFICATION="POSIX" LC_ALL=

User 403 | 8/4/2014, 11:17:19 AM

ok, so fixing the locale solves the problem. It is no longer giving error on Ubuntu 14 now.

<a href="http://askubuntu.com/questions/162391/how-do-i-fix-my-locale-issue">fix locale</a>

Thanks!