Cannot Connect to Graph Lab Server

User 310 | 5/30/2014, 10:25:05 PM

Hi, We are on linux environment.The config file is maintained properly . It could be that we are behind a firewall and we are currently not able to figure out how we could make this work from there.

When i try to execute the below from my IPython notebook i get the following error : import graphlab sf = graphlab.SFrame(data='http://graphlab.com/files/datasets/freebase_performances.csv')

Could you please let us know if some additional proxy settings are needed to connect to the Graph Lab Server

/home/jens/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/datastructures/sframe.pyc in init(self, data, format, proxy) 209 self.proxy = proxy 210 else: --> 211 self.proxy = UnitySFrameProxy(glconnect.getclient()) 212 format = None 213 csvdelimiter = None

/home/jens/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/connect/main.pyc in getclient() 201 if not isconnected(): 202 launch() --> 203 assert is_connected(), "Cannot connect to GraphLab Server" 204 return CLIENT 205

AssertionError: Cannot connect to GraphLab Serve

Regards Santosh

Comments

User 14 | 5/31/2014, 12:18:14 AM

Hi Santosh,

The _proxy argument is not used for network proxy. If you are running locally, no extra proxy configuration is needed.

From the output, it looks like the graphlab server cannot start locally. Can you please tell us which version of GraphLab Create are you using and what plat form are you running on: how many cores? 32bits or 64bits? Versions before 0.3 will not work on a single core machine, and GraphLab Create in general only works on 64bit machine.

Thanks, -jay

User 310 | 6/12/2014, 12:01:14 AM

Hi Jay I am running on a 64 bit machine with 32 cores.So thats not the issue.

The only issue i see is that we are behind a firewall and i am not sure if SFrame.read_csv considers the system proxy . And hence it has issues with validating the license as well.

I have tried the same from my mac and things work fine when i try from a public network and start failing with the error above when i am behind my firewall.

Can you provide some pointers here. Regards Santosh

User 14 | 6/12/2014, 12:30:39 AM

Hi Santi,

Can you create an empty SFrame behind the firewall? I'm curious whether the following code will succeed.

import graphlab sf = graphlab.SFrame()

User 355 | 6/12/2014, 5:36:54 AM

I have the same problem. Even

import graphlab sf = graphlab.SFrame()

does not work.

Do I need a product key to use graphlab? How to get it ?

User 14 | 6/12/2014, 6:18:58 AM

Hi yangky11,

Is the error message related to product key? If so, please go through the registration process on the product page: http://graphlab.com/products/create/quick-start-guide.html

Best, -jay

User 355 | 6/12/2014, 7:23:58 AM

I solved the problem. It's due to the GFW in China. The page to generate product key cannot display properly because it uses google's jquery.min.js. And google is blocked by GFW recently.. Do the following: 1. put jquery.min.js in local directory: /ajax/libs/jquery/2.0.3/jquery.min.js 2. add 127.0.0.1 ajax.googleapis.com to /etc/hosts 3. run a web server locally. python3 -m http.server

Then, the product key can be generated....

User 310 | 6/16/2014, 9:38:20 PM

Hi Jay

Yeah even graphlab.SFrame() doesn't work from behind the firewall.

I still get the same error ,cannot connect to Graphlab Server

Regards Santosh