SFrame and cloudfront.net

User 570 | 4/15/2016, 9:41:42 PM

Hi

We've noticed that SFrame (unity_server) in the background is accessing content on cloudfront.net. Sometimes see spikes of a few thousand requests in a short period of time. That spooks company's security team.

I wonder what is the purpose for this and whether this tracking can be configured to stop.

thanks, Mindis

Comments

User 4 | 4/15/2016, 9:55:44 PM

Hi @MindisZ, this is from usage tracking code that is common across SFrame and GraphLab Create. We use Amazon's CloudFront content delivery network to collect usage data.

The behavior should be that if you have a valid Graphlab Create license on your system, the usage tracking code runs and submits usage events to our logs so that we can tell which features are being used more often and help to improve our products.

If you aren't using GraphLab Create (only SFrame) and don't want to have usage tracked, simply remove the GraphLab Create license, and SFrame should no longer submit usage data to CloudFront. Please let me know if you still see usage data being submitted without a GLC license, as this is not by design and we would want to fix that right away.

User 4 | 4/15/2016, 10:54:37 PM

It looks like we may have an issue with inadvertent requests being sent to cloudfront.net even without a GraphLab Create license. I'm looking into the issue now and will reply here when I have more information.