Anaconda - Python 3.4

User 4162 | 3/29/2016, 4:08:52 PM

I work in a Python 3.4 environment. The pip install is asking me to install in a 2.7 environment. When I follow instructions to download in the 2.7 environment it seems as if Python 2.7 will be loaded onto my system. Is that true? I DO NOT WANT TO WORK IN A 2.7 environment and have to change all my scripts etc.

1) Dont you have a Python 3x installation?

2) Will this product work in a Python 3x environment?

3) How exactly do I install the product in Anaconda Python 3.4 and will this install change anything in my environment that I will regret?

Comments

User 1178 | 3/29/2016, 6:14:17 PM

Hi,

Are you trying to install GraphLab Create? We do not have support for GraphLab Create in Python 3 environment yet. We are actively working to enable that and it should be ready soon.

For now, please create a Python 27 environment in Anaconda and install GraphLab Create from there. Here is an example code snippet you may consider use:

# create a new environment
 conda create -n graphlab-create python=2.7

# activate the environment
 source activate graphlab-create

# install graphlab create
 pip install graphlab-create

Anaconda will allow you to easily switch between different environment and it won't impact your existing environment. You can easily switch to other environment by doing:

source activate <your-environment-name>

Hope this help!

Ping

User 4162 | 3/30/2016, 7:09:27 PM

Yes this helps and I will create two environments. Thanks

User 5153 | 4/26/2016, 4:10:17 PM

I'm having a terrible time trying to install graphlab. I had an Annaconda 3.5 environment, and then downloaded graphlab. It went to install and said something to the effect "I see you already have Anaconda" then went on to install the rest of the software. Using Dato Launcher, I can launch an iPython, albeit using Python 3. When I go to create a new notebook, the only choice is Python 3. I created a 2.7 environment, and activated it. I followed Ping Wang's instructions above. When I go to a command prompt in the 2.7 environment, I launch Python but when I try to import graphlab I get the message that there is no such package. When I use the Dato Launcher to open an iPython notebook I can only create a Python 3 notebook, and cannot import graphlab. Does it make sense to uninstall Anaconda and everything else and start again with a Dato download?

User 9 | 4/26/2016, 4:49:09 PM

Hi @fsouder Let's get you going.

First, we plan to release a BETA version of GraphLab Create for Python 3.4 in a few days. You can pip install this into your Python 3.4 environment. Would you like to try this?

Regarding your current setup - Are you saying that when you click 'IPython Notebook' in the Dato Launcher UI that it opens IPython Notebook in Python 3? This would be unexpected.

If you are using the terminal, activate 'dato-env' (as you did) but instead of using python, use ipython. This will likely ensure you are using the Python 2.7 conda environment. I bet if you try python then call 'which python' you will see it is using the system python vs. the python in the dato-env. This would be why you are experience import errors with graphlab create.

Let me know how you want to proceed and we'll help you out.

Tim

User 16 | 5/2/2016, 9:13:45 PM

@rjacobus -

Great new. GraphLab Create now has beta support for Python 3.4. See details here: http://forum.dato.com/discussion/1962/beta-support-for-graphlab-create-on-python-3-4

User 5240 | 5/26/2016, 11:24:36 PM

fwiw, I just ran into a similar problem, although the behavior was slightly different.

My anaconda is already set up with python 3, but I knew I could create a new env with python=2.7, so I did that. I installed the package and launched Jupyter notebook. I'm able to view the notebooks but I can't do anything because it says Native kernel (python2) is not available (which is not true, I can see it in the conda list and I'm able run a python 2.7 console from within that env).

I've been using ipython notebooks (now Jupyter) and conda for a couple of years. I even have a separate working python 2.7 env that I just created a couple of days ago with no issues. I've never seen this error before, so my guess is that the Dato package is looking for something that isn't there anymore, e.g. the ipython notebook launch command should call out to Jupyter and return a warning, but in this env it just fails. Here's the trackback:

(dato-env)~/ml_foundations$ ipython notebook

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Users/szeitlin/anaconda/envs/dato-env/bin/ipython", line 4, in <module> import IPython File "/Users/szeitlin/anaconda/envs/dato-env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/init.py", line 48, in <module> from .core.application import Application File "/Users/szeitlin/anaconda/envs/dato-env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/core/application.py", line 24, in <module> from IPython.core import release, crashhandler File "/Users/szeitlin/anaconda/envs/dato-env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/core/crashhandler.py", line 28, in <module> from IPython.core import ultratb File "/Users/szeitlin/anaconda/envs/dato-env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/core/ultratb.py", line 121, in <module> from IPython.utils.terminal import getterminalsize File "/Users/szeitlin/anaconda/envs/dato-env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/utils/terminal.py", line 27, in <module> import backports.shutilgetterminalsize ImportError: No module named shutilgetterminalsize

Hope that helps - I may try the 3.4 version in the meantime.