Viewing Canvas from EC2 Machine

User 3330 | 3/28/2016, 8:19:42 PM

I am having trouble using the GraphLab Canvas when using an AWS EC2 machine. Is there a specific way to do this?

I would really like to be able to use the Plots generated in Canvas for some reports, but I have spent hours trying to use Canvas from EC2 and I cannot get it to work.

I might just be a noob....

Comments

User 2917 | 3/28/2016, 8:46:53 PM

Hello, I'm sorry you're having trouble getting Canvas to work on EC2. Canvas views run on the local machine where the code is executing, e.g. on your EC2 machine. This is a security precaution. In order to access them remotely from your computer, you need to open an "ssh tunnel" to the EC2 machine so that you can access Canvas in your browser.

You can find the port Canvas is running this Python code on the EC2 machine:

graphlab.canvas.get_target().server.get_port()

Then, on your computer (not on the EC2 machine) start an SSH tunnel with the following command:

ssh -L <port>:localhost:<port> <your EC2 IP/hostname>

Now, you should be able to browse to the port on your computer in the browser:

http://localhost:<port>/index.html

User 3330 | 3/28/2016, 8:54:38 PM

Thank you

User 3252 | 3/30/2016, 10:37:26 PM

Hi Michael,

How do I use the ssh command on a Windows 10 pc?

I tried it from the command line and got this message.

ssh is not recognized as an internal or external command

User 2917 | 3/30/2016, 10:52:11 PM

You can create an SSH tunnel on Windows using PuTTY. You might find this guide helpful: http://howto.ccs.neu.edu/howto/windows/ssh-port-tunneling-with-putty/

User 5142 | 4/23/2016, 5:34:13 AM

I have started the Machine Learning course on Coursera and I am trying to do all the exercises using my EC2 instance. I have what looks like the same issue as described above: when trying to open the SFrame canvas, I get "This site cannot be reached' . I tried starting a tunnel using the command mentioned above, but get the following: 'permission denied (publickey)'.

User 5142 | 4/23/2016, 1:23:59 PM

It finally worked. If anyone is facing the same issue, see attached my notes.