Windows Error 193

User 3324 | 3/7/2016, 1:03:25 PM

hi- quick installation question if you don't mind. i have 3 computers and have installed graphlab create successfully on 2 of them. the third one is a bit strange. it's a windows 64 bit (like the others). however use i use the x86 64 bit version of python 2.7.10, i can run ipython but not the notebook- if i try to run the notebook i get a string of errors as below. if i use the x86 version of python 2.7.10, i can boot the notebook, but i'm not able to run graphlab on this version . could you help? thank you

errors seen when using x84 64 bit version of python and trying to boot up notebook C:\Python27>ipython notebook [TerminalIPythonApp] WARNING | Subcommand ipython notebook is deprecated and will be removed in future versions. [TerminalIPythonApp] WARNING | You likely want to use jupyter notebook... continue in 5 sec. Press Ctrl-C to quit Traceback (most recent call last): File "c:\python27\lib\runpy.py", line 162, in runmoduleasmain "main", fname, loader, pkgname) File "c:\python27\lib\runpy.py", line 72, in runcode exec code in runglobals File "C:\Python27\Scripts\ipython.exe_main__.py", line 9, in <module> File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\IPython_init__.py", line 119, in startipython return launchnewinstance(argv=argv, **kwargs) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py", line 588, in launchinstance app.initialize(argv) File "<decorator-gen-112>", line 2, in initialize File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py", line 74, in catchconfigerror return method(app, *args, kwargs) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\IPython\terminal\ipapp.py", line 297, in initialize super(TerminalIPythonApp, self).initialize(argv) File "<decorator-gen-7>", line 2, in initialize File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py", line 74, in catchconfigerror return method(app, *args, kwargs) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\IPython\core\application.py", line 401, in initialize self.parsecommandline(argv) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\IPython\terminal\ipapp.py", line 292, in parsecommandline return super(TerminalIPythonApp, self).parsecommandline(argv) File "<decorator-gen-4>", line 2, in parsecommandline File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py", line 74, in catchconfigerror return method(app, *args, kwargs) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py", line 485, in parsecommandline return self.initializesubcommand(subc, subargv) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\IPython\core\application.py", line 211, in initializesubcommand return super(BaseIPythonApplication, self).initializesubcommand(subc, argv) File "<decorator-gen-3>", line 2, in initializesubcommand File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py", line 74, in catchconfigerror return method(app, *args, kwargs) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py", line 416, in initializesubcommand subapp = importitem(subapp) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\ipythongenutils\importstring.py", line 31, in importitem module = import(package, fromlist=[obj]) File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\notebook\notebookapp.py", line 32, in <module> from zmq.eventloop import ioloop File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zmq_init__.py", line 42, in <module> libsodium = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary(bundledsodium[0]) File "c:\python27\lib\ctypes_init.py", line 443, in LoadLibrary return self.dlltype(name) File "c:\python27\lib\ctypes_init.py", line 365, in init self.handle = dlopen(self._name, mode) WindowsError: [Error 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application

Comments

User 15 | 3/7/2016, 10:28:04 PM

Hi @markyuen,

Just to be clear, though it looks like you have this straight, this error doesn't seem to involve GraphLab Create. It's true that GraphLab Create will not run on 32-bit Python. Only 64-bit Python is supported.

The reason for the error you posted looks related to libsodium (https://www.gitbook.com/book/jedisct1/libsodium/details), which is the crypto library that ZeroMQ uses. Only IPython notebook, not IPython, uses ZeroMQ so this would be the reason that only notebook is broken.

The PyZMQ package appears to optionally bundle libsodium. It looks like yours has found a libsodium to use, but what it found is not a valid library for whatever reason. I was able to trigger this error by creating a textfile in zmq's directory named "libsodium.pyd". It may be a botched pyzmq installation that could be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling that package, or you may have to dig further. Try finding this file: C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\zmq\libsodium.pyd and see if it is a valid dll (pyd is a dll, just renamed for Python), or whether it is compiled for only 32-bit or something.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need further help.

Evan