Unable to install GraphLab create using Dato Launcher /command line

User 3145 | 1/29/2016, 2:33:25 AM

Hi all,

I was trying to install GraphLab and I have really a hard time installing it. I wrote all possible commands in the command line and nothing worked. I installed the Dato Launcher and still nothing works.

Here is the Log file:

Dato Launcher, version 2.0.2 Windows_NT (win32) release: 6.1.7601 CPUs: 4 (x64) Total Memory: 4240293888 Installation process initialized.

Anaconda installation detected. Skipping download.

Starting GraphLab Create retrieval.

Package is present. Skipping download.

Anaconda installation detected. Skipping installation.

PATH environment variable updated.

Conda environment "dato-env" already created. Skipping create process.

Activating conda environment "dato-env". Deactivating environment "C:\Users\Faysal\Anaconda3"...

Activating environment "C:\Users\Faysal\Anaconda3\envs\dato-env"...

Conda environment "dato-env" succesfully activated.

Starting GraphLab Create installation. GraphLabCreate-1.8-cp27-none-winamd64.whl is not a supported wheel on this platform.

You are using pip version 8.0.1, however version 8.0.2 is available. You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

There was a problem installing GraphLab Create. Restart Dato Launcher.

If the problem persists, contact support@dato.com with the following: Unable to complete pip installation of GraphLab Create.

Installation report: GraphLabCreate-1.8-cp27-none-winamd64.whl is not a supported wheel on this platform. You are using pip version 8.0.1, however version 8.0.2 is available. You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

Process completed with exit code -1

I tried to update the pip in my system, changed the PATH and nothing worked for me. Please help Thanks

Comments

User 9 | 1/29/2016, 5:51:48 PM

Hi @Faysal

We are seeing some unusual behavior with pip since it updated to >7.1.2. We are unable to reproduce the error and are still investigating.

First, make sure your existing Anaconda is 64-bit. See this forum post: http://forum.dato.com/discussion/1535/unable-to-install-graphlab-create-on-64-bit-os-if-python-version-is-32-bit/p1

A possible fix is to downgrade pip to a version we know works with graphlab-create. Pip is installed both at the root of the anaconda environment and conda environments. When a pip version is installed at the root appears to also change the version of pip in the conda environments (specifically dato-env which the Dato Launcher depends on). So, you will need to downgrade at the root to fix. You could downgrade only in the dato-env if you really need pip 8+ but as soon as you upgrade pip at the root, again, all conda environments will be upgraded as well - so this might cause confusion later down the road.

Here is what I suggest: The log posted above indicates that the Dato Launcher correctly identified your existing Anaconda installation and created a conda environment within called dato-env. It failed with trying to pip install packages. Assuming that you didn't modify the path too much, this should be a work around.

1. close Dato Launcher
  2. open your system terminal and verify pip version using pip -V. I assume it is pip 8.0.1 based on your log.
  3. then downgrade pip using pip install pip==7.1.2. Verify with pip -V.
  4. now activate dato-env and check pip version. activate dato-env, then pip -V. I assume this will be pip 7.1.2.
  5. Restart the Dato Launcher. It should attempt to install graphlab-create again, now using a pip version we know works.

Let me know if this works for you. Tim

User 3145 | 1/30/2016, 2:22:06 AM

Hi @timmuss I've downgraded my pip to 7.1.2 as you suggested but the error still exists. How do you see this error comment:

~~GraphLabCreate-1.8-cp27-none-winamd64.whl is not a supported wheel on this platform.~~

Do you think I have to uninstall and install anaconda again?

Thanks for your help.

User 3145 | 1/30/2016, 2:24:09 AM

Sorry for erasing the comment, it says : GraphLabCreate-1.8-cp27-none-winamd64.whl is not a supported wheel on this platform . By the way, I've checked my python, and it is 64-bit.

User 3145 | 1/30/2016, 4:42:17 PM

Hi @timmuss

I solved the problem. I had two python installed in my system. One was with the Anaconda package and the other one was installed prior installing the conda package. So i guess that created confusion for the dato launcher. Thanks for your help

User 9 | 2/1/2016, 7:18:09 PM

@Faysal thanks for the reply. We'll see if there is anything we can do on our side to improve this scenario.