Common Installation Problems

User 2002 | 6/2/2015, 5:38:33 PM

Below are some common installation issues and how to address them:

Why do I get "permission denied" errors on pip install? When installing, you may see an error like:

error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/__init__.py'      

A permission denied error with a path under /usr/local indicates the installation was attempted system-wide, but without root permissions. There are two workarounds for this:

1. Use Anaconda or virtualenv to contain the installation to a local directory that you have write permission to.
  2. Use sudo to give the command permissions. (Not recommended because it updates your system-wide installation)

I get a license error when trying to use graphlab If you get the following error:

[ERROR]  ========================================
GraphLab Create requires a license to use. To get a trial, non-commercial,  or commercial license, visit https://dato.com/register.
=================================================

It is possible that we failed to create your license file as part of the install. Run the following command in your python environment using the product key that was provided as part of your registration:

import graphlab
graphlab.product_key.set_product_key("product-key-goes-here")

If you don't have a product key, please visit https://dato.com/register for a free 30-day trial.

Comments

User 2288 | 9/22/2015, 2:01:53 PM

I am getting below error while trying to launch dato Launcher. Please help "{"code":"ECONNREFUSED","errno":"ECONNREFUSED","syscall":"connect","address":"23.21.145.66","port":80} Process completed with exit code -1. "

User 2002 | 9/22/2015, 6:22:27 PM

Hi Kovthe - could you let me know a big more about the system you are running on. What OS are you using? Are you behind a firewall/VPN?

Thanks, Punit

User 2317 | 9/25/2015, 4:11:38 PM

Hi, I have just downloaded via pip install (on Anaconda) and successfully installed Graph Lab. However when I try to import it in iPython I get the following error:

ImportError Traceback (most recent call last) <ipython-input-1-ffb56aecba52> in <module>() ----> 1 import graphlab as gl 2 gl.canvas.set_target('ipynb') # use IPython Notebook output for GraphLab Canvas

/Users/durpani/anaconda/envs/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/init.py in <module>() 52 from graphlab.util import setruntimeconfig 53 ---> 54 import graphlab.connect as _mt 55 import graphlab.connect.aws as aws 56 import visualization

/Users/durpani/anaconda/envs/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/connect/init.py in <module>() 29 """ The module usage metric tracking object """ 30 from graphlab.util.config import DEFAULTCONFIG as defaultlocalconf ---> 31 from graphlab.util.metrictracker import MetricTracker as MetricTracker 32 33

/Users/durpani/anaconda/envs/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/graphlab/util/metrictracker.py in <module>() 21 import uuid 22 import copy as copy ---> 23 import requests as requests 24 import sys 25 import urllib as urllib

ImportError: No module named requests

Can anyone suggest a fix please? Thank you.